We started Senior Pets For Senior People as a Facebook page to help our local community connect with pets in need. We are dedicated to helping senior pets and the senior people in our lives find a way to comfort and support one another. Senior dogs and cats are being left at shelters at an alarming rate, and we work with rescues and shelter staff & volunteers to help promote these animals to senior people who may benefit from the companionship and purpose the loving care of an older pet can provide. It's a win/win for all!
Our motto: #OlderIsBolder
1. Pets-in-need: postings of available senior pets from qualified shelter volunteers and rescue groups who have spent time with these pets
2. Awareness: informing the community on options to Adopt, Foster, Sponsor or Volunteer - a senior foster can be a great solution for a senior person who may not be able to make a more permanent commitment
3. Inspiration: sharing personal and newsworthy stories that inspire and pictures or videos that make us smile
4. Education: enlightening the senior community on the advantages of adopting more docile senior pets versus frisky kittens and playful puppies
5. Rescue Organizations: teaming-up with local rescues to advocate the seniors they rescue from the shelters - many waive or reduce fees for seniors-adopting-seniors!
6. Purpose: senior pets give purpose in caregiving to those who might open their heart and homes to these elder animals - many rescues have medical funding and just need a safe haven for these pets to live out their lives with love and compassion
7. Have a Plan: encouraging senior people to have a plan for their pets in the event of life-changing circumstances
8. Outreach: working with local retirement communities and independent-living facilities to become more pet friendly
9. Appreciation: senior pets remind us to stop and smell every flower or look out a window just a little bit longer - and they are a great way to meet others in the neighborhood
10. Sharing is Caring: sharing these pets in need so that one special connection just might happen!
11. Follow-up: we love the happy endings!
12. Your stories: a space for others to share their cherished moments with their senior pets
Please join our Facebook!